The Catholic Parishes of Sydney Harbour North
First Holy Communion 2017
The sacrament of First Holy Communion is celebrated towards the end of Term 3 of the school year. Children in Year 4 or above, who have made their 1st Reconciliation can participate in this program. If your child has not made their 1st Reconciliation, please contact the Sacramental Coordinator at the Parish Office asap.
There are four small group sessions, which every child attends with a parent/guardian. Preparation also includes weekly Mass attendance where children will receive Mass cards and a Retreat Day, during which the children practise for their 1st Communion Mass. All elements of the program are compulsory.
Stage 1 of the enrolment is done online through a link on the home page of the Parish website. Enrolments open on 6th June and close on 20th June. Late enrolments will not be accepted. Allocations (eg to a Small group and 1st Communion Mass) are done on the basis of completed enrolments.
Stage 2 of the enrolment (deadline 20 July) is completed by:
· Making the financial contribution OR emailing the Parish Office to make special arrangements
· Providing a copy of your child’s baptismal certificate OR ensuring your child’s Baptismal certificate is on file from a previous sacrament. NOTE: If your child was not baptised in one of the four Parishes of Sydney Harbour North or we don’t have a copy of their Baptismal certificate on file, we will need a copy of the baptismal certificate.
The program offered is parish-based and family centred with the following elements:
1. FAMILY NIGHT: Wednesday 26 July, 6.30pm at Sacred Heart Parish Hall, Cardinal St, Mosman
Please note that children AND a parent are to attend. This ‘Family evening’ replaces the traditional ‘parent evening.’ The Family evening will provide information to children and parents about the program as children and parents will go on this faith journey together which is why it is expected that both candidates and (due to space restrictions) ONLY one parent attend. A photo of the children as a group will be taken on the night for our parish photoboard so it is essential that children are present on the night.
2. COMMITMENT MASS:All 8 Sunday Masses on the weekend of 29/30 July (including the Vigil Masses).
The candidates and their parents are welcomed by the whole community, invited to show their commitment to the preparation program and are given a blessing.
3. SMALL GROUP SESSIONS 1-4 (including Sunday Mass attendance):
In the weeks beginning 30 July and 6, 13, 20 August. The candidate and at least one parent meet for four consecutive weeks for 1 hour in small groups. If you would like to lead a group (the leader gets to pick where & when the group meets) please contact the Sacramental Coordinator. It is encouraged that groups remain largely the same as last year’s First Reconciliation groups. Please start the process by talking to your group members to try and organise a time/day/place. We always invite new parents to take on the group leader and/or host role if they can. All groups must be approved by the Sacramental Coordinator to avoid unnecessary distress.
4. RETREAT DAY including Mass practise: Thursday 31 August, 8:45am–2.45pm at Sacred Heart Parish Hall/Primary School: Candidates come together to prepare for the sacrament at Sacred Heart.
5. RITE OF RECONCILIATION: Wednesday 6th September, 5pm and 7pm at Blessed Sacrament Church
This is an opportunity for candidates and their families to receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation just prior to celebrating 1st Holy Communion. The Second Rite will be used.
6. CELEBRATION OF 1st EUCHARIST: 1st Eucharist will be celebrated on:
Saturday 9 September, 6:15pm at Sacred Heart, Mosman
Sunday 10 September, 9:00am at Sacred Heart, Mosman
Sunday 10 September, 10:00am at Blessed Sacrament, Clifton Gardens
Sunday 17 September, 9:00am at Sacred Heart, Mosman
Sunday 17 September, 10:00am at Blessed Sacrament, Clifton Gardens
Sunday 17 September, 11:00am at Sacred Heart, Mosman
Contact the Sacramental Co-ordinator with any enquires on 8969-3202 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Sacramental Co-ordinator- Catholic Parishes of Sydney Harbour North