Sacrament of Confirmation 2017
The Sacrament of Confirmation is celebrated towards the end of Term 2 of the school year. Young people in Year 6 or above, and who have received 1st Communion, are eligible to prepare for Confirmation. If your child has not made their 1st Communion, please contact the Sacramental Coordinator at the Parish Office asap. All elements of the program (see below) are compulsory.
Stage 1 of the enrolment is completed online through a link on the home page of the Parish website. Enrolments open on 14 February and close on 28 February. Allocations (eg to a Small group and Confirmation Mass) are done on the basis of completed enrolments.
Stage 2 of the enrolment (deadline 10 March) is completed by:
· Making the financial contribution OR emailing the Parish Office to make special arrangements
· Providing a copy of your child’s baptismal certificate OR ensuring your child’s Baptismal certificate is on file from a previous sacrament. NOTE: If your child was not baptised in one of the four Parishes of Sydney Harbour North or we don’t have a copy of their Baptismal certificate on file, we will need a copy of the baptismal certificate.
The program offered is parish-based and family centred with the following elements:
1. FAMILY EVENING: Wednesday 22 March, 6.30pm at Sacred Heart CHURCH, Cardinal St, Mosman. Please note that children AND a parent are to attend. This ‘Family evening’ replaces the traditional ‘parent evening.’ The Family evening will provide information to children and parents about the program as children and parents will go on this faith journey together which is why it is expected that both candidates and (due to space restrictions) ONLY one parent attend. A photo of the children as a group will be taken on the night for our parish photoboard so it is essential that children are present on the night.
2. COMMITMENT MASS:All 8 Sunday Masses on the weekend of 25/26 March (including the Vigil Masses). The candidates and their parents are welcomed by the whole community, invited to show their commitment to the preparation program and are given a blessing.
3. SMALL GROUP SESSIONS 1-4 (including Sunday Mass attendance): In the weeks beginning April 30, May 7, 14, 21. The candidate and at least one parent meet for four weeks for 1 hour in groups of about 4-8 children on Tues or Wed afternoons/evenings. Organising your own group, time, leader & house to meet at each week by talking to other parents proves to be the most effective way to ensure everyone is happy so you may like to have a casual chat with other parents about groups. Do not stress about forming groups as the Sacramental Coordinator will ensure everyone is organised into a group but the aim is to encourage conversation in the early stages to help the process of forming groups. All group lists must be approved by the Sacramental co-ordinator to avoid unnecessary distress, and please remember to be inclusive not exclusive when chatting about groups. You may even like to stay in the same or similar groups as 2015 First Communion.If you would like to lead a group please contact the Sacramental Coordinator as we need parent group leaders.
4. RETREAT DAY: including Mass practise: Thursday 1 June, 8:45am–2.45pm at Sacred Heart Parish Hall / Primary School: Candidates come together to prepare for the sacrament at Sacred Heart.
5. CREED MASS: Weekend of 3/4 June: Candidates will be presented with the Creed and asked to profess their faith at any of the 8 Sunday or Saturday Vigil Masses.
6. RITE OF RECONCILIATION: Wednesday 7 June, 5pm and 7pm at Blessed Sacrament Church: This is an opportunity for candidates and their families to receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation just prior to celebrating Confirmation. The Second Rite will be used.
7. CONFIRMATION MASSES:
Wednesday June 14 6.30pm Sacred Heart Church OR
Thursday June 15 6.30pm Blessed Sacrament Church OR
Friday June 16 6.30pm Blessed Sacrament Church
Please contact Thomas Dabbah, Sacramental Co-ordinator on email@example.com or on 89693200 should you have any questions.
CONFIRMATION NAME: Candidates will be asked to choose a Saint name for Confirmation. The saint they choose must be someone whom they admire for the way they lived their life. It may be one of their baptismal names. Candidates should be mindful to pick only one name. Candidates will write a 1-2 page report on the life of their chosen saint and what qualities they admire about them. This task needs to be submitted to your group leader by May 12. It can be typed or hand-written. These questions can guide the writing of the report:
Candidates must choose famous saints that they can locate sufficient research information about in order to complete the resarch task. You will be asked to submit your final saint name and research task to your group leader by 12 May.
COMMUNITY SERVICE: Candidates will be asked to complete one hour of Community Service as a sign of Christian witness. This service needs to be organised and supervised by parents. Ideas include:
Candidates must fill out the community service log (Appendix 2: Children’s booklet page 49) and have it signed by their parents and/or supervisor. This must then be shown to your group leader (by May 12) who will tick your name off their list.
SPONSOR: Candidates must select a sponsor for Confirmation who is a practising Catholic, over 16 years old who has made all their sacraments. The sponsor’s name must be provided to the group leader by May 12.
Sponsor’s Letter: Many years ago the Sponsor and Candidate shared a strong bond of faith as the newcomer sought to grow in Christian life and the sponsor walked the path of growth as a fellow pilgrim on the faith journey. In order to help develop some sense of faith sharing in this process, we would like to invite you to take the time to give the child you are sponsoring the gift of your personal perspective by writing a brief letter. The sponsor’s letter is optional and should you choose to write a letter we suggest it is given to the candidate after the Confirmation Mass. Some points to think about in this letter include:
We hope that you like this idea and even if you find it challenging, you will realise that this can be very special for the child who has chosen you as their sponsor.
During the ceremony: Sponsors, when you move forward to the Bishop/Presider with your candidate please stand slighly behind and to the left of your candidate and place your right hand on his/her right shoulder from the moment the child stands/kneels before the Bishop/Presider, until the Bishop/Presider has completed his prayer over the child.